Monday, March 14, 2005

Knitting & nerdiness: a lethal one-two punch

Tomorrow is the Big Day, when I go to the fundraiser in D.C. for work and have to meet (gulp) famous politicians and historical figures. At least I got a haircut today!

On to my title. I have so many things to report! When I came home, my mama had a whole bag of goodies for me. She sewed me a circular needle holder and a straight needle holder ala Stitch n Bitch patterns with WONDERFUL and BRIGHT fabrics! I am talking fluorescent, people. (Photos to come, probably Wednesday night, for all'a these.) Also the cool, avant garde (if I may) book, Simple Knits With a Twist. I think I'm inspired to knit with wire and recycled plastic bags! And some great socks, knit with Mom hands so extra-great, and pom-pom stencils (aka little circular whatchamacallits). Also some fun fur she picked up for me at a sale, so I can knit the monster slippers from Stitch n Bitch Nation.

On to nerdiness: I was just thinking that I should add some links to my sidebar, but first let me highlight them here. I read quite a few free webcomics on a regular basis, generally ironic slightly-R-rated ones that deal with goofy animals and/or hipster-youth goofery. (Oh, you would be surprised how often those overlap.) I ain't no hipster, at least not since high school (I guesstimate), but still I do love me some hip friends and cultural references! And humor. So here, in no particular order, are my most-read webcomics. Check 'em out, they're free, and you're bound to find at least one of them funny. Not "bound" bound, but likely...

Achewood by Chris Onstad. Highly bizarre, in the best way. Animals and stuffed animals in a sort of parallel/underground world, being funny and nasty and neurotic.

Scary Go Round by John Allison. Wonderful art, British accents, and again with the bizarre. More surreal storylines than the others. Zombies, spies, bald child-like harbingers of doom...et cetera.

Diesel Sweeties by r stevens. All about the old-school: laughing at this one since it started. I have not one, but TWO t-shirts by this guy. The baby dolls he stocks (along with many other webcomic artists), brand name Bella, are totally comfy and soft. Plus they come with funny things on them, like pixellated skulls. You see, DS is drawn to look like old-old compy graphix. Part of its retro charm!

Questionable Content by Jeph Jacques. Read it for the first time a month ago or so, then read ALL the past ones. Fun storyline; more straightforward and less gag-oriented, too. A little romance with your indie? Go get it.

Goats by Jonathan Rosenberg. Anyone on top of "it" enough to register goats.com back in the days of the Big URL Shuffle has to have a good sense of humor. Diablo, the satanic chicken, awaits thee. Proceed with caution and beer.

Magical Adventures in Space and Wigu and Overcompensating by Jeffrey Rowland. Wigu is the old comic, retired at the end of 2004. Magical Adventures in Space...seriously, look past the title that makes you think of kids' shows -- well, it's about a kiddie show, sorta. Well. Go see. And Overcompensating is his almost-daily comic-blog that frequently cracks me up even more than his regular comics!

Those are the ones I have to keep up with daily. Though it is fun to forget, since then you get to overindulge and read three or four comics at once! Ahh, I am ill.

Not sure how this makes a lethal one-two punch. Perhaps by making this post inordinately long? Ka-slamma POW!

No comments: